I finished the next exercise for the art course I began recently. And I really screwed this one up!
It’s not as obvious in this photo as in the actual painting, but I badly messed up the gradient on the top right of the sphere. The annoying thing is, it looked okay (by my current standards anyway), but I decided to try to improve it. This was after working on the piece all day, and the paint had become too sticky to blend. But I didn’t realise that until it was too late, and now it has a big smudgy patch. Still, lesson learned!
There’s an expression, ‘the perfect is the enemy of the good’, which keeps coming to mind when I work on these course paintings. In every single one I’ve made a mess by trying to fix something that was already looking good enough. So in future I’m going to try to resist the temptation to make small tweaks that aren’t really necessary.
I also need to break these into shorter sessions spread over a couple of days. After working on this all day (with breaks), I was tired, had a headache and just wanted to be done. I’ll blame that for my bad decision making with the gradient 😀